The Practical Nursing program is a partnership with FPDI, Assiniboine Community College and the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA). The program starts March,2022 and ends January 2024.
The two year program is designed to prepare students with the competencies to practice as part of an interdisciplinary team and to deliver nursing care within the context of their scope of practice.
Known as a challenging and rewarding career for caring and compassionate individuals, becoming a nurse takes critical thinking, problem solving, effective interpersonal skills, flexibility and a strong background in mathematics and science. The program runs from March, 2022 to January, 2024.
- Two-year Practical Nursing diploma program
- Must successfully complete 84 academic credits and 22 practicum credits
- Must pass with 70% in each course to complete the program
- Courses: science and arts, anatomy and physiology, medical microbiology, sociology, and psychology
- Participants get to apply and implement skills learned at the end of each term in a laboratory with clinical settings
- Prior to start of the program, participants are given the opportunity to take the Introduction to Nursing course online where they are introduced to the Program and its expectations including Math related to medication dosage calculations
Applicants must provide a photocopy of current:
- Criminal record check
- Child abuse registry check
- Adult abuse registry check
Upon completion graduates are eligible to write examinations for licensure as practical nurses. The graduates will become eligible for membership with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba (CLPNM).
Clinical nursing skills can be applied in acute and extended health care facilities, personal care homes, various community agencies and private homes.