In 2019 FPDI partnered with Aboriginal Employment Services (AES) to conduct an on-reserve labour market information (LMI) survey pilot to test processes and tools to improve the level of detail and timelines of labour supply information for on reserve communities. The survey gathers and analyzes Indigenous Labour Market Information (ILMI) of the 15+ population living on and off reserve. Seven participating First Nations surveyed their community members, collecting skills inventory information, education levels, employment history, previous training and other skills.
The goal of the on reserve ILMI survey pilot is to collect community level data on an annual basis for the benefit of First Nation communities. To date FPDI and the First Nations have collected 10,640 labour market surveys in Manitoba. Throughout the pandemic FPDI and the First Nations have faced the challenge of being unable to conduct surveys in person, but with the help of AES an online portal was created.
REQUEST AN ONLINE SURVEY
- Information is collected at the local level by surveyors hired by the First Nation Employment & Training (E&T) departments
- The data collected is owned by the community
- Two types of databases are compiled; skills inventory of the working age population and LMI of the working age population
- Able to view available jobs within the First Nations geographic area utilizing the Aboriginal federal job bank
- Connecting working age First Nation clients with employers
This data will allow identification of relevant, applicable and desired training programs.
Participating First Nations will be able to take full advantage of existing on reserve demand because the data will reflect the existing populations interests as well as assist E&T training departments in the process of planning and analysis and matching individuals to available employment.
In order to efficiently and effectively target training and employment initiatives, accurate, up to date and comprehensive data must be collected and analyzed. This pilot project allows for professional, timely analysis and delivery of data to policy makers, job creators and training providers.
- Berens River First Nation
- Birdtail Sioux First Nation
- Brokenhead Ojibway Nation
- Buffalo Point First Nation
- Canupawakpa Dakota Nation
- Chemawawin Cree Nation
- Dakota Plains First Nation
- Dakota Tipi First Nation
- Dauphin River First Nation
- Ebb & Flow First Nation
- Gambler First Nation
- Keeseekoowenin Ojibway Nation
- Kinonjeoshtegon First Nation
- Lake Manitoba First Nation
- Lake St. Martin First Nation
- Little Saskatchewan First Nation
- Long Plain First Nation
- Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation
- O-Chi-Chak-Ko-Sipi First Nation
- O-Pipon-Na-Piwin Cree Nation
- Pinaymootang First Nation
- Pine Creek First Nation
- Rolling River First Nation
- Roseau River Anishinabe First Nation
- Sagkeeng First Nation
- Skownan First Nation
- Swan Lake First Nation
- Tootinaowaziibeeng Treaty Reserve
- Waywayseecappo First Nation
Contact us to request an online survey link.